In today’s times, allergies and viruses are found everywhere. Various protective measures need to be taken if one has to just step out of the house. Protection from sun, rain, dust, pollution, mosquitoes—the list is endless. You want to just come back home as it is considered a safe place. But not always… there are different kinds of allergies, infections and viruses lurking in corners of our home. It may not be possible to prevent all allergies, but with a little precaution we can handle it better. Like the old saying goes: “Prevention is better than cure”.
1) Keep the house dust-free: This is easier said than done. However, regular dusting and cleaning will help a lot in keeping a check on allergies. Quick cleaning of the tables, counter-tops, cabinets, cupboards and most importantly, windows will keep the dust away.
2) Maintain Hygiene Levels: The overall hygiene level at home is crucial in maintaining the overall health of the family. In addition to the regular cleaning, it’s important to take proper care of clothes, carpets and such materials. One must change the bed sheets every week and regularly wash our personal towels, cleaning cloths, etc. This reduces the chances of infections and diseases. It is also recommended that people use their individual bath towels and soaps to maintain good hygiene. One also must not pile up laundry for a long time as it is the perfect setting for germs to breed.
3) Kitchen Care: The kitchen is an easy breeding ground for germs and so it’s very important to keep it clean. Ensure there are no food particles lying around or it will attract rodents, cockroaches and other pests. It is advisable to not pile used vessels, instead try to wash them soon after use. The refrigerator is another place to be attended to. As cooked food, fresh fruits and vegetables are all stored in the fridge, it is of utmost importance to keep the fridge neat, clean and germ free. One should clean the fridge weekly to avoid spoilage of items.
4) Keep optimum temperatures/humidity: Dust mites, mold and fungi thrive in warm and humid homes. They can cause various allergies in people, especially children. Try to store food items in a cool, safe place with an optimum temperature between 20-22 degree Celsius, to keep allergens away. Relative humidity levels not more than 50% also must be maintained in the home. Monthly cleaning of the central cooling and heating systems will also prove helpful in keeping diseases away.
5) Eat healthy: To keep allergies and viruses away, the body should have good immunity, which can be attained from a healthy diet. One should ideally include fresh vegetables, pulses, fruits and nuts in their daily food. Fruits like grapes, apples, oranges and tomatoes have lesser allergy symptoms and therefore are a must for people of all ages. Eat healthy, eat right to prevent allergies.
Take note of these tips and your home and family will be safe from most allergies/viruses and infections.